Thursday, February 4, 2010

Daddy Look What I Can Do

Luke and I are missing daddy while he is away for work in California.  I have been given the blog responsibility.  While daddy is away Luke is continuing to be at room air 21% oxygen and his nurses keep challenging him to go lower and lower on his flow.  As of last night when I left he was at 1.5L and his nurse was going to bring him down to 1.25L that night.  When I called to check in on him late last night he was handling this change very well.  To my surprise, when I called this afternoon, they had lowered him some more, down to 1L.  I think we had mentioned earlier that at 1L flow he can try taking a bottle.  When his doctor called today to give me his daily update I asked how long he had to be on 1L before we could try the bottle.  She said as long as he is doing well on 1L it would be about a day.  So that means by this time tomorrow our little boy may be taking his first bottle.  They had told us that when he does start he may take a bottle for one of his feedings and then the next he would get through his tube.  This is because he will tucker our and need to rest up the next time around.
Another thing his nurse had mentioned was that they want him off of the caffenine, but she felt he is not ready for that.  I am a little nervous because he is doing well getting weaned off the oxygen, but he also has help from taking the caffenine as well as Diarell.    I think we all agree that the most important thing right now is getting him off the oxygen and then we can worry about getting him off some of the medicines he is on.  I told John that while he was away Luke would try to do his best and we can't ask for much more than that.  Here is a recent photo, sorry I don't know how to add video yet.

1 comment:

  1. He is getting to be such a big boy! Good job Luke! :)

    ReplyDelete